Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Ups and Downs

Tomorrow marks 4 months of the deployment. I'm still doing well, but I would like to document my feelings about being a deployed soldier's wife right now, aka a single parent, aka the snow remover, aka the handyman, etc... To best accomplish this, I thought I would list the up sides and down sides to deployment that I have experienced thus far.

The Up Sides:
*No more pee on the toilet (at least until I potty train Roger)
*2 less loads of laundry per week
*It's okay to have cereal for dinner
*I only have to cook 2-3 meals per week, max, and I usually freeze some of it
*Complete control over child discipline and running of the home (some people might not like this, I do)
*A heightened spirituality as I rely on Divine Intervention to keep my husband safe
*I get to watch whatever I want, whenever I want
*I don't have to put meat in my spaghetti sauce
*I have full reign of the blanket in bed and choice of sides, heck, I can sleep diagonal if I want to
*When I go shopping I only go to the stores I want to
*In the car, I can listen to whatever music I want over and over and over without any complaints

The Down Sides:
*My daughter hasn't met her dad
*Wrestling two kids in church is MUCH harder as a single parent
*No one appreciates my cooking
*I am the lone changer of diapers, lots of poopy diapers
*When the smoke alarm goes off at night or the doorbell mysteriously starts ringing, I have to figure it out myself
*I get very minimal breaks from my kids (I love them, but breaks are nice!)
*No Sunday naps...probably the biggest downside
*I have to take the trash out, not only out, but on trash day, take it out to the street and bring it back-not the easiest nor most enjoyable thing to do in snow
*Loneliness, plain and simple

This deployment would be SOOOO much harder for me if I didn't have these two little angels to get me through it. They have cuddled with me, given me hugs, and made me laugh through my tears.


8 comments:

Reianna said...

I don't know how you do it! Keep it up and thanks for sacrificing your hubby to help keep the rest of us safe. I appreciate his service and the support you give him.

NaDell said...

I love sleeping diagonally when Andy is traveling. It's nice to have so much space sometimes. You are doing a great job and I like that you are looking at the pros as well as the cons of being IT for your family right now. You need to teach Roger to give you thumbs up for meals. It's the best. =)

Anonymous said...

You are in our daily thoughts and prayers. We love you all and are so very thankful for your families sacrifice for our beloved freedom. If you were closer we could have girls night out, play dates, etc. If you ever need someone, I am a phone call away (801-423-7879).
XOXO

Julie said...

Wow Lori, You make me cry. I know it's so hard to be without a husband. Thank goodness for the little monsters we have been blessed with. I miss hanging out with you and taking our longs walks. Just think you are a 1/3 of the way through. That's exciting.

Derek & Penny said...

Lori I am thinkning and praying for you guys all the time. I wish we lived down the street from eachother again! Love you lots!!

Natalie said...

I haven't checked your blog in awhile, but I think about you guys all the time! Your kids are so dang adorable. I am grateful every day for those that make this sacrafice, leaving behind their supportive families, to keep the rest of us safe.

Kristen said...

Hey Lorie! It was good to hear that you are doing well and to read your ups and downs of this deployment. Anytime Mike leaves, I feel some of those same feelings! I can't imagine doing it for a whole year . . . we'll be there soon enough! Roxie and Rog are SO stinkin' cute! I loved seeing the pictures of them. Keep on keepin' on! You are doing a great job--those kids are lucky to have you as their mother!

Ash & Paul said...

reading this doesnt get me excited, at all for Pauls deployment :(