Thursday, April 16, 2009

Help

Any advice or suggestions on how to wean a baby off the bottle? It's time.

9 comments:

The Phipps said...

No advice! But good luck:) Maybe someone will have some good advice for you:)

NaDell said...

Get a sippy cup with a flexible top to start out. Just hand him that and don't give any more bottles. If the cup is the only option, he'll take it.
The girls actually were fine with the hard tops, but Vincent wouldn't suck to get anything.
I've also heard to take the valves out for a little bit and hold him while he takes a sip for him to figure out that there's something good in there.

Reianna said...

My opinion is to wean slowly. Take away one bottle at a time. The hardest ones for us were the ones right before bed and naptime. I went from a bottle to a straw cup because I heard they were better for speech development. Put a smoothie in the straw cup and suck it to the top, that usually helps them learn. In place of bottles we would have cuddle time. Make sure he is geting nough fluids. To take away the night/naptime bottles I had to have a good routine that I stuck to religiously. We never let our kids fall asleep in their own bed so cuddling with me or Josh was how we put him to sleep. We would give him a drink of milk and then cuddle him. But the routine went something like this at night: bath, massage w/lotion in a dim quiet room, cup of milk in my rocker, stories, songs, then quiet time. I would use consistent words like sleep, relax, shhh, and whisper those in his ear.

Thats my opinion. I personally believe that kids respond very well to loving kindness and to take something away abruptly can be very hard on a kid. Yes they will eventually take to a sippy cup but you may have to endure a lot of crying. I hate having my kids cry too much when I know I can do something about it. I also believe that the sucking reflex is extremely relaxig and calming for a baby and to take that all away without teaching them another way to calm down can be very hard and stressful on the baby. It is important to know that babies have a strong desire to suck until they are 2 years old.
I hope that helps. I love getting adivce because I believe that you can't have too much information. If what I have said doesn't sound good to you then at least you know. Someone else may have something to say that feels right for you. Follow your heart because you know your baby the best. Let him tell you how much you can push him. Good luck!

NaDell said...

My kids didn't seem to cry about their bottles when I took them away (by the way).
Also, they will probably not drink quite as much milk the first few days.

Katie Webb said...

I was really lucky. I had Morgan down to 2 bottles a day, one in the afternoon and one before bed. But I was told by a self aclaimed health experct that 12 month old children should be off the bottle. So I just didn't give it to Morgan one day to see what would happen and she didn't care. She didn't even wake hungry during the night (which I thought she would). I did giver her cherrios in milk about an hour before bed though, just to make sure she was getting enough to eat. I guess I cared more about the bottle than she did. Good luck. I hope it goes well.

Mindy said...

So you know I am not one to have advice about this and I didn't read what others wrote so I am probably repeating but I am at my cousins in oklahoma right now and her little boy is a month older than Rog and she used the sippy cup called "nuby" and you can only get them at walmart she says. Only use milk in them, no juice so they are hungry enough to want to try it. Hope that helps!

Megan and Kyle said...

No advice either!! I am trying really hard to get Dallin off the bottle but he doesn't really drink his milk out of any other cup! I'll pray for you and you can pray for me!! Parker didn't come off the bottle til 15 months!! Hopefully Dallin will be sooner!! Miss you girl!!

This Idaho Girl said...

I agree with the sippy cup advice. It's a hard transition. I still have a 21 month old attached to her bottle and binky.

Rae said...

so you bought several sippy cups? till you found the perfect fit? cause ktv wont use either sippy cup i bought. she screams for forever until i break down and give her a bottle. :(