I looked forward to Matt's homecoming ceremony more than I had ever looked forward to anything in my life. I meticulously cleaned my house, shaved my legs, tried on outfit after outfit, the list goes on. He got home around 10:00 pm. I had the kids in bed by 8:00 and my nice neighbor came over to sit at the house while I went to pick him up at the airfield. I had envisioned this drive over and over in my head for a year. I was elated. I got to the airfield an hour early, talked with some friends, and the hanger door went up. The formation walked in, the band played the Star Spangled Banner, and the soldiers sang a couple of songs. The patriotism in the room was strong and emotional. Matt and I made eye contact soon after his formation stood still, so right after the verbal release, we were able to embrace. It is a hug I won't forget for a long time. I couldn't believe we made it. He was safe and in my arms. Heaven.
The two greatest things about having him home:
1-no more worrying about getting the dreaded knock on the door
2-being able to hand over my kids to their dad


6 comments:
I'm so glad he is home and you guys can have enough time to get used to each other again! Good work!
Congrats on getting him home safe! I can't imagine how rough it must have been! Also, the pics on the side of your blog are adorable! Have fun with your reunited family.
So glad to hear he's home again! Love you guys!
That is awesome, Lorie. I hope you had some serious time with him before he had to go back to work. It is a huge relief that he is home safely. You all are amazing!
We are getting ready to send Paul off, and I am dreading it. I think the anticipation before they leave is worse than the actual goodbye... But so happy to see you have a complete family again! :) That is very exciting!
This made me cry! We are so thankful for your families sacrifice and service! We are so thankful that our Heavenly Father watched over and protected you all. We are so thankful to call you family! Merry Christmas and welcome home!
Post a Comment